A smoky, earthy twist on a margarita, this tasty and interesting Mushroom Margarita is a great way to enjoy mezcal and the benefits of medicinal mushrooms
When I was in Nashville for FNCE in 2015, I went to an event with the with the Mushroom Council (disclosure: it was a sponsored event but I received no compensation for sharing about it), and every dish served included mushrooms.
Even the margaritas!
And I’ve been thinking about them ever since that night in October over 2 years ago!
[clickToTweet tweet=”A smoky, earthy twist on a #margarita. This tasty, interesting Mushroom Margarita is a great way to get #mushrooms in your diet” quote=”A smoky, earthy twist on a #margarita. This tasty, interesting Mushroom Margarita is a great way to get #mushrooms in your diet”]
When I did a google search for a mushroom margarita, I found absolutely nothing.
And I was — to be honest — pretty bummed.
Obviously, I decided to make one for myself, and did a little research… I found one website that talked about a smoky mushroom drink using mezcal, and it dawned on me that it would be perfect!
Also, I thought about making a drink with mushrooms and decided against that.
Luckily, mushrooms powders and mushroom extract powders are easy to get your hands on whether you can make it to a health food store or order off amazon.
I tested this recipe multiple times because I wanted to make SURE that it was good before I filmed a video and shared it online.
This is not for someone who doesn’t like mushrooms or smoky flavors or earthy flavors because it has all of those flavors. But not in a weird-gross way… more like a weird-good way.
I can’t really explain it other than it is one of those drinks that I want to sip and savor because it is so interesting.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mushroom powder
- 3 tablespoons mezcal
- 1 tablespoon triple sec optional
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sparkling water preferably lime or lemon flavored
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, mushroom powder, and mezcal to a jar (with a lid) or cocktail shaker. If using triple sec, add also.
- Screw on lid and shake very well.
- Pour salt on a plate and rub the rim of your glass with the lime. Flip the glass onto the plate and press in the salt to get a salted rim.
- Add ice to the glass and pour in margarita mixture. Top with sparkling water. Taste and add additional lime or orange juice or more sparkling water.
- Enjoy immediately!
Pin for later: