You will instantly fall in love with this vegan Instant Pot Lentil Curry, especially since it takes less than an hour to make, is very high in fiber and a healthy meal everyone will enjoy!
Disclosure: I might make a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you.
I honestly don’t know how I got through life without my Instant Pot.
I was resistant to buy one for so long because I do not have space for any extra appliances.
But I finally caved in December and haven’t looked back since.
This doesn’t mean I’ll be ditching my slow cooker; I love the slow cooker for preparing something ahead of time so it’s ready the minute you are.
The Instant Pot is great for last minute meal planning, if you will. For those dishes that typically need hours to cook, the Instant Pot does it in less than an hour (usually).
Take curry for example. The sauce needs hours to really develop the flavors while the veggies almost melt into the sauce.
But the Instant Pot does it in under an hour, and most of that work is completely hands-off.
[clickToTweet tweet=”You will instantly fall in love with this #vegan Instant Pot Lentil Curry, especially since it takes less than an hour to make” quote=”You will instantly fall in love with this vegan Instant Pot Lentil Curry, especially since it takes less than an hour to make”]
As much as I love having a meal plan and being prepared, it’s definitely not one of my strengths.
And that, my friends, is why I am currently crushing over my Instant Pot. So much so that it hasn’t been put away yet.
I use it almost daily, and some days I use it for multiple things.
Hard boiling eggs, cooking spaghetti squash, cooking rice or quinoa, making pho, and so much more! And most importantly, for this Instant Pot Lentil Curry.
This recipe is based off one from The Pretty Bee that was cooked in the slow cooker.
I was scrolling through instagram one afternoon and saw her picture of the lentil curry and knew I needed it in my life.
But I decided I’d try it in my Instant Pot because it was too late to start it in the slow cooker if I wanted it for dinner that night.
The first batch was good but not perfect. Too much of some spices, not enough of others.
The original recipe calls for garam masala but I do not have that in my kitchen. However, I have tons of other spices so I could make do. That is reflected in this recipe.
This thick lentil curry is great served in a bowl alone or over cooked rice. I use brown basmati rice, and it is famazing!
And maybe sprinkle with some chopped parsley or cilantro for a little extra color
Instant Pot Lentil Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil avocado, olive, or coconut
- 2 large onions diced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced, yellow or red
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils rinsed, about 10 ounces
- 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Pour the oil into the instant pot, and turn on the saute function.
- Add the onions and bell peppers. Stir well. Add garlic, and stir.
- Add in curry powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, ginger, black pepper, coriander, allspice, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Add in tomato paste, and stir to coat. Stir in lentils, coconut milk, water, and sugar.
- Cover, making sure to turn the valve to sealing, and turn to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes then release the steam, and enjoy! Great served alone or over cooked rice.
What I used in this recipe:
Pin for later: