Hack your Thanksgiving with this tutorial on How to Make a Homemade Roasting Rack. No need to bother buying a roasting rack that you use once a year; you can easily make your own! Perfect for a DIY, budget-friendly Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, or other holiday meal.
So I have a small kitchen with lots and lots of gadgets and dishes and things.
Out of all those things, I don’t have a roasting pan – like a good one that will hold a 12 pound turkey. And honestly, I don’t have room to store a huge roasting pan that will be used less than once a year.
What to do, what to do?
Well, this probably won’t surprise you since I try to make everything myself, but I made one myself. I know… it’s pretty barbaric looking, but it totally did the trick and it’s easy to make. Plus, it costs less than $5.
All you need is a foil, a disposable roasting pan, and a sturdy baking sheet.
Homemade Roasting Rack
- Heavy duty foil
- Disposable roasting pan
- Sturdy baking sheet
- Place your disposable roasting pan on a sturdy baking sheet. [You might have to reshape the roasting pan to get it to fit on the baking sheet, but you'll be glad you did this later. It will help keep the roasting pan from collapsing when there's a turkey in it.]
- Now make two long sheets of foil and roll them into logs. These will go in the roasting pan vertically.
- Take four smaller sheets of foil and roll them into logs. Slightly bend them in the middle and put them horizontally in the roasting pan. [See photo above]
- After rubbing your turkey with oil and spices, place the turkey on the homemade "roasting rack"
- Discard roasting pan and "roasting rack" when the turkey is done.
See, it’s not that hard, and it totally does the trick 🙂
Looking for more tips to make your Thanksgiving easier? Check out my Complete Guide to Thanksgiving eCookbook
Pin for later:
Have a great Thanksgiving!!