It’s easy to get excited about veggies when you have these adorable cauliflower tater tots. They might not taste like regular tater tots but they are equally delicious, especially when served with spicy harissa ketchup!
Something that drives me bonkers is when someone uses veggies as a substitute and pretends that it “tastes just the real thing.” No. I’m sorry. Just no.
Let’s call a spade a spade. Zucchini lasagna is famazing, but it’s not regular lasagna. Broccoli slaw spaghetti is fantabulous, but it’s not spaghetti. I could go on and on, but I’ll get right to my point: veggies are not substitutes for carbohydrates. Nor should they be.
veggies are the answer to all life’s problems veggies are the greatest things in the world I love a good excuse to get more veggies in my day, especially when it comes to snacks and apps!!
These Cauliflower Tater Tots do just that. Ok, so they should probably be named Cauliflower Tots but for some reason that sounded way too weird for me. I realize there are actually no taters in these tots, but I digress.
Like I mentioned earlier, these do not taste “just like tater tots.” They just don’t, and there is no way you’ll be able to trick people into thinking they’re eating potatoes. But that doesn’t make them any less delicious!
When you’re watching a game and have a giant spread full of appetizers & snacks and not a single one has veggies, you’ll be so happy to see these tasty Cauliflower Tater Tots. Especially if you make the spicy harissa ketchup to go along with.
I accidentally ate the whole batch when making these because they are so tasty.
And then I was so full that I ended up not having room for dinner. But the great thing about these babies is that they are a veggie plus they have protein thanks to the eggs and coconut flour. I also ate a banana on the side because a girl’s gotta have some carbs.
So with the Super Bowl in a few weeks, I bring you this Cauliflower Tater Tot recipe.
Oh and P.S., try these as Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots. SO good!
Cauliflower Tater Tots
For the cauliflower tater tots:
For the ketchup:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- Preheat the oven to 375*F. Grease a baking sheet with oil. Set aside.
- Steam the riced cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain well. Transfer to a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds to make make it almost the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Put cauliflower in a bowl and add remaining coconut flour, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and peppers. Stir well until everything is completely mixed.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of the mixture and shape into ovals. The mixture will be pretty liquidy (and that's ok); just make sure that the ball holds together when you place it on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all of the tots have been made.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Flip and bake another 8-12 minutes, until done. Enjoy!
for the ketchup:
- While the tots are baking, stir together ketchup and harissa. Serve with cooked tots.
*Use 1/2 tsp harissa paste for a less intense ketchup
*Nutrition Facts do not include harissa ketchup