Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is a budget friendly meal that’s slow cooked to perfection. Full of warming spices, this saucy dish will satisfy your comfort food cravings.
Time for another Recipe ReDux, and today is one of my favorite themes: budget recipes. Budget Eats – How low can you go? Can you make a meal for less than $3 per serving? Whatever your budget, show us your healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check in 2017.
I aim to make most of my recipes budget friendly because I refuse to have people tell me that “eating healthy is too expensive.”
My goal is to prove them wrong, and this Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala does just that.
Most recipes for chicken tikka masala use two pounds of chicken, but chicken can get expensive. One alternative is to use chicken thighs, which I think are a great choice. But I decided to try another alternative to adding a ton of chicken… chickpeas
It’s the best of both worlds. You have chicken, and you have plant based protein with some extra fiber.
If you are looking to make a vegan/vegetarian version, feel free to add two extra cans of chickpeas in place of the pound of chicken.
Ok so when you look at this recipe you might think “holy moly that’s a lot of ingredients!” But there are just a few main ingredients — chicken, onion, tomato sauce, and chickpeas — plus lots and lots of spices.
All the spices make this dish so amazing, and slow cooking it makes this dish even better. I’ve tried doing it on the stove, and while it was delicious, the slow cooked version is infinitely better because all the spices have time to become besties and make your meal delicious!
So go ahead and pull out your slow cooker (if it’s not out already) and make this saucy, spicy, scrumptious dish. Your taste buds and budget will thank you!
- Serves: Serves 6
- Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1 TBSP minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
- 1 TBSP grated ginger
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 2½ tsp coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- parsley or cilantro for serving
- naan and/or basmati rice
- Add the onion, chicken, chickpeas, garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, cardamom, ground cloves, and nutmeg to a slow cooker.
- Stir everything together. Add bay leaves and cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Add in coconut milk and fresh lemon juice. Stir well. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with naan and/or cooked rice. Enjoy!
*I used full-fat canned coconut milk for testing purposes
Pin for later:
Check out all the other fabulous budget-friendly recipes from my fellow Recipe ReDuxers: